Thursday, June 4, 2009

Early Delivery!

I went to see Hank last night for what I thought was my last visit before taking him home this weekend. I was wrong. Lona asked if I brought my crate to take him home in and of course I didnt. After she signed over the ahnentafel(pedigree) she took a couple pictures and off we were. He sat on my lap for the drive home. I was expecting an accident or two but was lucky! He whined a bit but I suppose being seperrated from your littermates is something to whine about. I stayed with him outside in the yard for a good two hrs waiting for him to do his business as he had just eaten before we left the Kluck's but he didnt get the job done until four hours after eating and once more an hour later. I made sure to take him outside multiple times after drinking and was lucky to have him go #2 twice outside. He slept on the bed with me and I was lucky to get two or three hours of sleep. Its amazing how a dog that has had no training will let you know when its time to go outside. He woke me up at six this morning and we went directly outside for him to take care of business. I tossed a canvas dummy for him 4 or 5 times and he was bringing it back like a seasoned dog. I have decided to use a bit of word/action association for his training so every time he enters his crate I say "Kennel" and praise him. Same with every time he comes to me voluntarily I say "come" so that eventually he will associate the action with the command. Also when he exits his kennel I say "alright". And "fetch" when he is on his way to retrieve something and "come" on the way back to me. Well Hank is at my feet asleep at my desk so I guess this as good a time as any to get back to work. Till next time.
Also, I just wanted to thank Lona and Gene Kluck for all the help. They are a rare example of breeders who care about a whole lot more than getting paid. I know that Lona will not allow her pups to go to anyone she feels will not hunt the dogs or care for them and give them the attention necasarry to uphold the breed standard! Thank You to the Klucks.
I also want to thank John Luttrell of Luttrell Kennels in Clark, SD. John has been super helpful in giving me tips and sharing some of his training techniques. Whats my tab at now John? $50,000.00 + or -?

No comments:

Post a Comment